So that’s one idea. There are a MANY other great ideas floating around.
- Mobilize creative minds to raise awareness of issues that tackle our city (sprawl, transit, urban renewal, livability, etc) – see BrokenCityLab.org and this cool video for No Tankers.
- Brainstorm large community projects (like the Community Portal), acquire funding where available and guide the project to completion.
- Pair creative and technical minds to broaden each others portfolios (creative designs portfolio sites for dev and artist and dev brings them to the web).
- Pair creatives and techs with senior mentors.
- Pair creatives and techs with charitable organizations. Provides portfolio work and experience and serves the community.
- Hackathons (open data, scraped data, international contests).
- Collaborative marketing projects for the community.
- Work with community groups to find out where the gaps are in their needs and where the technical and creative communities can assist.
Can we build a corps of citizens to build projects that strengthen each other and the community?
Do you think we have the people and the passion to bring this to the next level?
(Take a look at this for a bit of inspiration – http://www.nycservice.org/)